Thursday, September 27, 2012

Blog Post #5

The iSchool Initiative

photo.JPG


This video by Travis Allen, 17, was a good presentation on iSchool initiative. Travis talks about how the iSchool Initiative is trying to get schools involved with iTouch hand held devices. Many of the devices will be like iPhones, iPads, and mostly iTouch technology. He believe, and so do I, that with this new way of learning money can be saved. Apple Store has a third party app for all assignments, which can be very helpful for the teacher and students. It would save a great amount of money for students, teachers, schools, and even the country. It will help many schools save money on books and other sources, so they can focus on the main problem, helping kids learn and achieve. By the time I become a teacher, it would be nice for the iSchool Initiative to be put in effect because it will not only save money, but it will also help our students get ready for the future ahead. I think what Travis and his organization is doing is a great thing. When students learn through a different method other then paper and pencil, they have fun and learn more. Using technology in the classroom will be a great way of teaching.



I fell in love with this video. It must had took a long time for each person to get on each note. For all these people to have never met in person and made a amazing piece like this just through a webcam is awesome. This just make you look at technology a whole different way. I sing in a choir and sometimes it can be hard trying to get on key. For Eric Whitacre to put this together was a work of art. I will most definitely show this to my future classroom. I feel its something everybody should see, amazing.

Teaching in the 21st Century

I think Kevin Roberts believe that students should be taught skills and not facts and information. He states that we should not be entertainment to our students, but we should be there to engage with the students. In other words, interact with the students because teacher can learn from their students as well as the students can learn from the teachers. I agree that teaching the students to memorize the information and then testing them on it is very pointless. Teaching them the skills to obtain and use the information will be more effective.

21Logo.jpg
I think teacher should be able to teach both facts and skills. I feel they should be taught not only the basics but also things that can prepare them for life as well. If teachers can teach them now, it will help them out in life what their parents or guardians do not teach them at home. I was not prepared for a lot of things in this world, which I rather had to learn on my own or my grandmother and mother taught me much as they can. There are some teachers that will help their students in anyway. I want to be one of those teachers in the future.

Flipping the Classrooms

Katie Gimbar Why I Flipped My Classroom and Ms. Munafo Flipping the Classroom-4th Grade STEM was good sources of information on flipping the classrooms. They both made good points about lecturing in front of the classroom is boring. It's not inefficient, not engaging and the students do not be focus. Dr. Lodge McCammon's idea of FIZZ is a great idea. I like how the students can view a video at home or before class, for the next day letting them know what they will be covering in class and they can practice and review a head of time. So when the students get in class there is more time for them to have one-on-one with the teachers. The videos are very efficient, can be viewed multiple of times and creates a lot of classroom time. I can see myself flipping my future classroom because I want more time helping my students then lecturing them. I do not want them to think I'm boring by talking them to death instead of helping them learn and have fun. I think FIZZ is a great idea.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jeanette ,
    First let me start by saying I love your background, and how everything is so clear and organized.I really like the way you summarized what we have read and watched.The only thing that I saw wrong was a lot of run on sentences and sentence fragments.So I would just suggest to you to proof read your blog before you publish it. I too have these same problems so don't feel bad. It looks to me like you did what was asked of us, in this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " He believe, and so do I, ..." believes, not believe

    Travis and his iSchool Initiative team visited with EDM310 this summer.

    " It must had took a long time..." have taken, not had took

    "...we should not be entertainment to our students..." Rewrite: ...we should not entertain our students...

    "...because teacher can learn from..." teachers, not teacher

    "I think teacher should be able to teach..." teachers, not teacher

    "I think teacher should be able to teach both facts and skills. I feel they should be taught not only the basics but also things that can prepare them for life as well. " In the second student you have begun talking about students. There is no antecedent present for they so the second sentence should be written like this: I feel students should be taught not only the basics but also things that can prepare them for life as well.

    "which I rather had to learn on my own or my grandmother and mother taught me much as they can." Omit rather and change can to could.

    "There are some teachers that will help their students in anyway." in any way, not in anyway

    "Katie Gimbar Why I Flipped My Classroom and Ms. Munafo Flipping the Classroom-4th Grade STEM was good sources..." were, not was

    "It's not inefficient, not engaging and the students do not be focus." Rewrite: It is inefficient, not engaging and the students do not focus on learning. At least that is what I think you meant to say.

    Your content is good but you must PROOFREAD your work!

    ReplyDelete